Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Traveling with Knitting

I was sitting on a plane writing this. While packing I considered what to bring, I am going to be gone a week and hope to get some knitting done. I therefore packed a sock, it is small, doesn’t need a pattern yet (it is a knit 2 purl 2 cuff down pattern that I have mostly memorized) and perfect for working on while waiting. I have also packed a lace scarf, that requires concentration, but it is also small enough to be worked on while on the plane, where there are few distractions. I actually like working on lace when traveling because I concentrate so hard that I forget how uncomfortable traveling is and time then flies.

Regarding flying with knitting needles, so far I’ve not been stopped, ever. I have metal circular needles, but have flown in the past with plastic ones and wood needles, short sock needles and long sock needles. Knocking on wood now, but so far so good. Today, while boarding the plain for the return trip, I was surprised to see a woman with size 13 - 14 inch straight needles...they did make me pause...

No comments: